Now you've considered the most effective ad formats to use, you need to think carefully about where to place them on your web pages. Imagine yourself in the place of the reader - how would you read or view each page? Give particular attention to the following points:
- On pages where there are articles to read, it is a good idea to place ads at the end of the text. If they have found your text interesting they might be tempted to click on a well targeted ad as a follow on.
- When a user is viewing a web forum topic they usually look at the opening post, to find out the subject, then scroll down to the final post before adding a reply of their own. It makes good sense to place ads at both these extremes.
- In the case of a blog it is a good idea to place your ads between posts.
- Place an AdSense link unit next to where your link list is - you might get lucky when someone clicks it by mistake!
- Place referral buttons in side bars.